Saturday 13 October 2007

Commuter Rules. 1. (...to be continued)

For god's sake stick to the left.

Okay, I have been known to be guilty of flitting up the wrong set of stairs, and indeed twisting my ankle coming down an escalator that was heading upwards. But that's by the by. If everyone stuck to the right side of the stairs, walkways and escalators, life on the underground would be vast improved. (The incident with the twisted ankle, was however my own fault and I was drunk).

If you are any of the following then stay to the far left:
  • Feeling tired/ill/slow
  • not in a general rush
  • carrying heavy bags/items
  • with children
  • reading the Metro

Reading the Metro en route through the Underground is particularly annoying. Try this at home; grab the nearest newspaper or magazine to hand. Now find some stairs. Try to read this whilst heading down or indeed up said stairs. Take note of how fast you can move, how much you have actually read, how much you have enjoyed reading, and how much attention to your surroundings you feel you would be capable of providing.

If all the people listed above stayed to the far left, then theoretically there should be a path free for those that want to run up/down stairs and generally move quicker.

It's an unrealistic request I know. But as Christmas is heading closer, I thought I might just ask.

No comments: